F-09 - Unconditional Commitment – The Only Love That Matters To Youth in Our Care (Part I of II) IntermediatePost Adoption and Permanency Services for Parents and Professionals Serving this Population
There is a great need for prospective and current parents (including foster, adoptive, birth, resource, and kin) to become unconditionally committed to the children that they are parenting, particularly traumatized children and teens. Every child in foster care needs one placement and one placement only until they get adopted or return home and the challenges to unconditional parental commitment are explored and addressed. Also this workshop will make case for post permanency services to families after they achieve legal adoption and guardianship because the need to stay committed and raise their children with trauma informed parenting strategies is crucial to the success of all post legal adoption and guardianships for the remainder of their children’s childhoods and beyond.
1. Learn reasons parents unintentionally re-hurt, abandon, and reject the children they come forward to parent when the child commits behaviors the adult does not approve of.
2. Learn Skills needed to deal with children who make adults so angry that they would do the unthinkable and return the child to an agency.
3. Look at spirituality as a possible resource during the most difficult days in parenting traumatized and teenage children.
4. Help parents find strength from within to deal with difficult behaviors with patience, understanding, kindness, and empathy.
5. Help all parents understand that it is their commitment and their commitment only that is the true source of healing for any child that finds their way into their home on a permanent or short term basis.
6. Learn about why post permanency services should be available to all parents after adopting or providing guardianship or kinship to traumatized children.
7. Learn what is going on, on the Federal level with post adoption and guardianships programs being tested in eight different States throughout the United States.